Friday, August 19, 2005

The Cinderella Man Metaphor

Just watched the movie Cinderella Man. Fantastic movie! With all due respect to Hoosiers, Rudy, Remember the Titans, and the rest, Cinderella Man is the best sports film I've ever seen.

The central character of the movie is James Braddock, a washed up boxer who made an improbable, if not miraculous, comeback during the depths of The Great Depression. According to the film, Braddock's ascension became a source of hope to the masses of broken families searching for a reason to keep trying. At the same time, Braddock found strength in the people who looked to him for hope, knowing that his performance affected so many people.

I usually don't get too worked up about movies, but this one struck a nerve because Braddock's struggle taught me that every entrepreneur who has started with nothing has the potential to be a James Braddock to the rest of us.

Each time I read about a young entrepreneur who is finding success, it gives me strength to draw on when I'm having one of those "I-should-have-listened-to-my-mother-and-gotten-a-'normal'-job" moments. I know that may sound cheesy, but it's the gospel truth.

At the same time, I draw strength from the fact that there may be others out there like me who are looking for inspiration when the going gets rough. My success may give a couple of guys in their garage the energy to squeeze out the idea or strategy that ends up putting them over the top.

So, to all of you garage-dwellers who are looking for inspiration -- I'll try not to let you down.

To all of you who think the only people who depend on your success are your family, employees, and partners -- Don't let me down.

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I agree. While it's a great boxing movie, it's more of a great movie about family. It's too bad it did not do better.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home