Monday, December 04, 2006

Don't Try to Reach me at the Office




Brock and I were on a conference call with our rockstar advisory board last week and we received a clear message from them:

Focus wholly, completely, passionately, 100% on sales.

This is great advice for 90% of the entrepreneurs that we work with each month and it's great advice for us.

Up until the conference call I had been coming in the office to work each day and dividing my time between consulting gigs, business development, and developing the AngelReady sales program.

This week I have decided to take the board's wise council to heart and jump into the sales program 100% with no other distractions. I've set up shop in a small unfinished, unfurnished room in my basement with five things: my laptop, a Vonage router, a phone, a pad of paper. and a chair to sit on. (See pictures. The papers on the wall have our daily registration goals and results written on them.)

Results:
  • I've gained a deeper insight into the entrepreneurs that we serve and how to best help them prepare to raise angel capital, which has increased my ability to give meaningful feed back and training to our customer care team. This has lead to a vastly increased number of FundingUniverse registrants becoming AngelReady Members.
  • I am not distracted by the countless "little things" that go hand-in-hand with running a fast-moving company.
  • I've enjoyed lunch with my wife, Anna, and my boys, Jack and Brixton, every day. Can't beat that.
Even our CEO has spent substantial time on the phone with our members this week. I love it!

I don't expect to stay down here forever, but the exercise has been and will continue to be very instructive.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Chris said...

I like it.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I thought you might, Chris. I'm thinking about putting the pictures in my holiday family letter this Christmas -- http://www.chrisknudsen.biz/?p=195. :)

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home