Tuesday, February 20, 2007

My Under the Radar Picks for v100

I got my link to the v100 voting page today. I love the v100. Going down the list of nominees is incredible. With all of the talent on the list, vSpring could easily make a v200 list.

I'd like to give a shout out to a few less-visible entrepreneurs who will be getting my vote. These guys might not be as visible as some of the usual suspects who will likely end up on this year's list, but are certainly deserving of attention.

Side note: I was looking at last year's list as I did my voting and I was a surprised to see so many VCs and prominent angels on the list. Something tells me that Alan Hall (one of the best entrepreneurs/investors in the state) won't be leaving Mercado Ventures, GUV or his board seat at MarketStar to " ... lead a successful venture as CEO or CTO in the next 5-7 years in IT or Biotech industries". I wonder if some of the voters understand the selection criteria. Sometimes the list looks a little more like a "Who's Who" list than what the criteria calls for.

Anyways, back to the guys I wanted to plug ...

Brigham Tomco -- The guy is a machine. He's a JD/MBA student at BYU, one of the editors of the law review, raising a VC fund for Cougar Capital, and all this while single-handedly building a company and a product that is gaining nationwide distribution. Once he gets out of school and focuses on one project, he's going to be a force to reckoned with.

Nick Mecham -- This recently wealthy technophile is one of the primary reasons that MaxStream is such a success. You won't find find him at a lot of networking events, but I'll bet you will find him as a CTO at a successful technology venture in the next 5-7 years.

Mick Hagen -- If you haven't heard of Zinch -- in the word's of my main man Stuart Scott -- you betta aksk sombody. Sharp young team and a killer concept. Even if Zinch doesn't fly like it has the potential to, Mick is a solid guy who will have his hands in successful ventures for a long time.

There are quite a few more entrepreneurs that I'd like to mention, but I don't want to give away all of my votes. Thanks to vSpring for making this happen!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous nick said...

Couldn't agree more about the Who's Who thing. I would bet that 25% of those people are extremely unlikely to fit the criteria (i.e., they're investors, bankers, service providers, etc).

Maybe they just stick out like a sore thumb though, so it seems like they're a lot.

-n

12:43 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

@ Nick

You were also one of the ones that I believe are a perfect fit for the list: talented, well-connected and very likely to participate in a successful start-up company in a leadership capacity. Five to seven years is a good ramp-up time for a young buck to get things rolling and launch.

BTW, congrats on the forthcoming wedding!

10:08 AM  
Anonymous nick said...

Thanks! Obviously you're one of the big qualifiers on the list as well. Hey, is there some reason you're not syndicated on connect blogs? You really should be!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

I probably shouldn't have stuck it to Jordy Gunderson so hard in our bare-knuckle brawl at Fight Club last month. I think he's exacting his revenge by keeping me off of the list. :) I'll shoot him an angry email later today.

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home