Saturday, March 10, 2007

" Oh yeah, I know him. I know him well."

You've seen the "man law" commercials on T.V. where a group of ultra manly men declare the laws of manhood over bottles of brew. Well, I'd like to propose two "business laws":

1) Unless a person remembers your face, your name and your company, you are banned from using the phrase "I know him/her." in reference to said person.

2) Unless you regularly exchange email, have lunch regularly with or know the person on some sort of personal level, you are banned from saying that you know said person "very well".

I don't know how many times I hear people throw around the above phrases when the reality is the person they "know" is someone they shook hands with in a crowded room months ago.

All in favor ...

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Chris said...

Great post, Jeff. I've been thinking about the same thing lately. I hate name droppers!

12:22 PM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Thanks Chris. To be honest, I've grown used to the name dropping. In entrepreneurship and early-stage financing it's a given. I don't like it, but I'm used to it. I just can't take the dishonesty.

If I'm in a conversation with someone and they say, "Yeah, I know him." to every name I say, it's usually a sign that the person is dishonest or a chronic name-dropper. I don't like spending time with either type of person.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous David Mullings said...

My favourite story was when the person I was speaking with claimed they knew the person and then I pulled out my phone and called them right then and there. You can imagine where the conversation went after that.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

Classic, David!

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Derek Perkins said...

If only there were some way of enforcing the law...

- Calling up the person is great. Good job David.
- Ask them to give you their driver's license and mail it to the person they 'know', since it should be easy to get back if they know them.
- Take $20 from their wallet and tell them you'll return it when you get proof of friendship.

Any other good ideas on how to enforce the business-law?

7:46 PM  
Blogger Chad said...

People who engage in such careless name dropping, showing a clear lack for respect for the people they allegedly know, probably don't value the relationships they do have either.

In entrepreneurship and investing, relationships are our most valuable asset. Misusing them so is bad form. Great post.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home